Following an overwhelming vote for unification, the American Association for Health Education (AAHE) is now AAHPERD.
The mission of AAHPERD School Health Education is to advance the profession by serving health educators and others who strive to promote the health of all people through education and other systematic strategies.
AAHPERD addresses the following priorities:
- Develop and promulgate standards, resources and services regarding health education to professionals and non-professionals.
- Foster the development of national research priorities in health education and promotion.
- Provide mechanisms for the translation and interaction between theory, research and practice.
- Facilitate communication among members of the profession, the lay public and other national and international organizations with respect to the philosophic basis and current application of health education principles and practices.
- Provide technical assistance to legislative and professional bodies engaged in drafting pertinent legislation and related guidelines.
- Provide leadership in promoting policies and evaluative procedures that will result in effective health education programs.
- Assist in the development and mobilization of resources for effective health education and promotion.