AHA New Fact Sheet
AHA just came out with a terrific new fact sheet on sodium and its impact on children.
It lays out a strong case for why sodium reduction in kids is important, including in school meals.
It emphasis' that:
- Reducing sodium intake could have a big impact on health and health care costs.
- Nationally, a 9.5% drop in sodium intake could reduce cardiac events by 1 million and costs by $32 billion.
- Kids' salt preferences are influenced by food choices, and liking for salt can be reduced if they are exposed to a lower sodium diet when young.
- Kids are eating too much salt, including from school lunches.
- Kids with high blood pressure show warning signs for heart disease while still in childhood.
- Prevalence of high blood pressure is increasing in children.