Julian Smith Award Lectures
Awards Given by the Council for Adventure & Outdoor Education/Recreation
Julian W. Smith Honor Award
Recognizes an AAHPERD member who has shown significant achievement in the field of outdoor education.
- Member of CAOER.
- Contributions to the field of outdoor education such as professional writing and research, service to CAOER, and presentation at professional meetings.
- Contributions that have had a positive influence on the field beyond one's own program.
- Contributions sustained over an extended period of time.
- Contributions past or present to CAOER.
- Direct involvement in an ongoing outdoor education program.
J.B. Nash Scholar Lecture
Among the most prestigious awards in the park and recreation profession, the J.B. Nash Scholar Lecture Award honors and encourages outstanding leadership in research and scholarship in recreation and leisure. The awardee is invited to present a lecture at the AAHPERD National Convention & Exposition.
A scholar is selected by peer review based on demonstrated professionalism in the four categories below. Nominees must meet at least one criterion under each category.
- Scholarly record for a number of years as evidenced by publications and scholarly presentations such as, but not limited to: articles in a variety of referred and non-referred journals and popular magazines; author or co-author of texts endorsed by professional colleagues; presentation of professional research papers at national and international meetings.
- Public service and leadership as evidenced by professional presentations, consultation, and professional leadership. Conference speaker, keynote addresses, and similar within the past two years. Sought for consultation. Diverse and practical service activities with documentation of evolvement. Vitality of contemporary and forward-looking ideas as expressed in writings and presentations. Established leader in the field of parks, recreation, and leisure.
- Commitment to the profession through service at national, district, state, and/or local levels. Contributor to AAPAR/AAHPERD publications. Past or current service on national, district, or state committees and boards of APAR/AAHPERD or of similar associations (e.g., NRPA, ACA). Contributes professionally to leisure education, professional knowledge, and professional preparation.
- Research expertise as evidenced by research projects, research publication, and/or grants. Shows expertise in research process with sophistication as either a proficient researcher or competent critic of the same. Published articles in recognized referred journals. Author of federal and state grants and/or private grants that were obtained for research or training proposals.
Submit your nominations for Julian W. Smith Honor and J.B. Nash Scholar by November 15.
CAOER also distributes an Honor Award, Service Award, Contributor Award, and Young Professional Award. For more information about these awards and how to nominate someone, email CAOER Chair Anne Wiggin.
Submit your nominations on this form by December 15.