Get Out! Winter Activities
Outdoor Education Resources
Outdoor Winter Sports
Physical education teachers, recreation leaders, activities instructors, program directors…
…Looking for cool info on incorporating winter sports into your school curriculum or physical activity/recreation program? Not only can winter sports be enjoyed by people of all ages, any winter sport can be adapted so that every body can participate throughout their lifetime—regardless of ability level, physical or other challenges.
Among the many benefits, participating in winter sports builds healthy bodies and minds. So, encourage your students to give the snow a go!
We've gathered some resources to get you started. We'll also be providing curriculum ideas, strategies for teaching winter sports to special needs populations, steps for starting a skiing club, and much more. We welcome your input—contact us with your ideas!
- Winter Feels Good in so many ways. It's good for the heart, the head, and the soul. Learn more about the exciting world of winter sports and how to make your snow time fun and safe.
- Whether you're a first-timer or a seasoned pro, SnowLink can help you get ready to ski, snowboard, or snowshoe. From warm-up stretches and exercises, choosing the proper clothing and equipment, tips on packing for a winter sports vacation, or how to fuel your body, SnowLink's valuable resources can help make your fun even more enjoyable!
- WinterKids is committed to helping children develop lifelong healthy habits by engaging them in fun outdoor winter activities. Check out their WinterKids Guide to Outdoor Learning (GOAL).
- Never tried snow sports? You're in luck: January is Learn a Snow Sport Month! This online tool kit will get you started and includes links to programs happening all over the country. It's never too late to PARticipate!
- The Cross Country Ski Area Association represents ski service providers, while promoting the growth and quality of cross-country ski venues throughout North America.
- The Professional Ski Instructors of America (PSIA) and American Association of Snowboard Instructors (AASI) are dedicated to promoting skiing and snowboarding through quality instruction. PSIA-AASI establishes certification standards for snow sports instructors and develops educational materials as the core components of instructor training.