News & Events
Take It Outside Week
Young children and the outdoors just go together – naturally. That's why Head Start Body Start National Center for Physical Development and Outdoor Play (HSBS) created Take it Outside Week in 2009. The third week of every October marks a time to celebrate the natural world and encourage educators, families and caregivers to make time outdoors an important part of young children's daily lives.
Did you know:
- Today's children spend less time outdoors than any generation in history?
- American preschoolers watch 32 hours of television a week?
- Outdoor play provides more opportunities for moderate to vigorous activity (MVPA) than indoor play?
- Current research indicates that children who regularly play outdoors are healthier, smarter and happier than children who do not?
With benefits like that, what are we waiting for?! Let's commit to give young children the opportunity to move, play and learn outdoors every day. It's time to expand the playroom and classroom walls and Take it Outside! Spread the word - share our Benefits of Outdoor Play tipsheet.
And remember – you don't have to wait until October to celebrate! We encourage year-round outdoor play and learning (and you can use the following ideas and resources to help you do just that!).
- Host a Family Play Day filled with lots of outdoor games and activities
- Host a Family Gardening Day and plant fall flowers and shrubs and grasses to enhance your outdoor space
- Host a Nature Play Day – go for a nature hike, build forts and dens and dig for worms
And don't forget to share your ideas, events, stories and photos in our Online Community!
Watch one of all of our outdoor play related webinars:
- The OTHER Learning Environment
- Natural Playgrounds: The Ins & Outs from Design to Safety
- Enhancing Your Outdoor Play Space
- Loose Parts - Play in Pieces!
Improve Your Outdoor Playspace: