Since opening its doors in 2009, Head Start Body Start National Center for Physical Development and Outdoor Play (HSBS) has engaged the Head Start, Early Head Start and the larger early childhood community in helping young children and their families lead healthier lifestyles. From our Play Space Grants, to webinars and monthly resources for educators and families, HSBS is putting active play and learning on the map!
Here are just a few key successes:
- HSBS has funded 1,574 Head Start and Early Head Start programs through our Play Space Grant program ($5,000 per program).
- HSBS Physical Activity Consultants have made over 2,000 site visits, helping program staff learn how to incorporate movement across the curriculum as well as gather data for project evaluation.
- We have seen a 47% increase in overall physical activity – and a whopping 143% increase in moderate to vigorous activity – after programs received HSBS grants and Physical Activity Consultations.
- 87% of parents have noticed improvement to outdoor play spaces that received HSBS funding
- Each month we reach approximately 50,000 educators and families with our educational resources!
- HSBS boasts an active Online Community which is growing every day.
- HSBS led the I Am Moving I Am Learning update process and facilitator training program for the Office of Head Start. Click here to learn more about this exciting project!
- HSBS has been instrumental in developing The Natural World project for the Office of Head Start
Visit our In the Spotlight section for more success stories from the field!