How to Coordinate an Event
- Allow adequate time to organize your event.
Start six to eight weeks before your event.
- Promote the educational value of the event.
Educate students about heart disease and stroke, risk factors and how to live a more heart healthy life.
- Select a date and location.
Events can be held whenever you choose – before school, after school, or a weekend. Check for conflicting events and fundraisers when planning.
- Choose a format for your event.
Pick something your students will enjoy, or get creative and design something unique to your school.
- Display thank-you gifts.
Making thank-you gifts visible increases interest and promotes fund raising.
- Promote the event to participants.
Use flyers, posters, school announcements, whatever gets your school and community involved. Involve a student group or club.
- Set a deadline to collect donations.
One week before the event, plan to take up collection envelopes – it may take a few days for everyone to turn theirs in.
- Thank all participants.
After your event, thank all students, administrators, and volunteers - distribute thank-you gifts.
- Complete an event evaluation after the event.
Let us know what you think! Your feedback will help us.
Note: Be aware of your state athletic regulatory agency's rulings on some activities.