Get Ready, Get Set, Go! Tips for Getting Started with Your Running Program
- Seek your principal's support of the program.
- Find the time and space to hold running sessions during, before, and/or after school.
- Enlist classroom teachers to get involved with the program by using the interdisciplinary lessons plans in their classes (as appropriate).
- If there is interest from many students, solicit other teachers and parent volunteers to assist you with the running sessions.
- Plan for how you are going to meet the different age (e.g., 4th graders vs. 8th graders) and running experience levels of participating students.
- Plan with the end in mind. Select or create a training plan based on your students' age and running experience, program length (e.g., 8 weeks vs. 3 months), and culminating event (e.g., 1 mile vs. 5K event).
- Develop a filing/storage system for students' distance logs.
- Send parent permission forms home with all "eligible" students (those in grades 4-8) and only allow a student to begin participating when he/she has returned a signed form.
- Hold your first running session and enjoy!
Need Help Fundraising for the Future?
Read: Keep Your Program RUNNING: Fundraising [pdf]