National Dance Standards Grades 5-8
Through creating, performing, and responding to dance, middle school students can continue to develop skills and knowledge that enhance the important development of self-imaging and social relationships. Cooperation and collaboration are emphasized at this age, fostering positive interactions.
The following is excerpted from the National Standards for Dance Education. To purchase the National Standards for Dance Education, click here.
- Identifying and demonstrating movement elements and skills in performing dance
- Understanding choreographic principles, processes, and structures
- Understanding dance as a way to create and communicate meaning
- Applying and demonstrating critical and creative thinking skills in dance
- Demonstrating and understanding dance in various cultures and historical periods
- Making connections between dance and healthful living
- Making connections between dance and other discipline
To read the entire National Dance Standards, click here.