FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance and Routledge Form New Partnership
RESTON, VA, August 16, 2012— The American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) today announced that it has entered into a new partnership with Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, one of the world's leading publishers of academic journals, to begin publishing four AAHPERD journals in January 2013. AAHPERD retains all editorial control of the journals. Those titles are:
- The American Journal of Health Education is a premier health education and promotion journal published bi-monthly and circulated to nearly 8,000 libraries, practitioners, and academicians. Since 1968, this peer-reviewed publication has offered significant state-of-the-art articles that translate research into practice and has presented contemporary reports about the profession. The journal
- is an authoritative source on health education and promotion for professionals in community, public health agency, workplace, university and K-12 school settings
- serves as the profession's source of information on program evaluation and health topics
- provides 12 credit hours per year of continuing education for Certified Health Education Specialists
- and is an outstanding resource for the dissemination of research and best practice.
- The Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance (JOPERD) is the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance's largest, most frequently published and most wide-ranging periodical since 1896. JOPERD's mission is to advance the common goals and discrete roles of health, physical education, recreation and dance professionals who are committed to improving the quality of life through the movement arts and sciences, sport, and leisure. Nine times a year it brings to 12,000 readers and institutions the most up-to-date information in such diverse areas as teaching, curriculum, assessment, administration, adapted physical education, coaching, fitness and professional preparation.
- Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport (RQES) has been published consecutively since 1930. This well respected journal publishes research in the art and science of human movement that contributes significantly to the knowledge base of the field as new information, reviews, substantiation or contradiction of previous findings, development of theory, or as application of new or improved techniques. The goals of RQES are to provide a scholarly outlet for knowledge that:
—contributes to the study of human movement, particularly its cross-disciplinary and interdisciplinary nature;
—impacts theory and practice regarding human movement;
—stimulates research about human movement; and
—provides theoretical reviews and tutorials related to the study of human movement.
- Strategies: A Journal for Physical and Sport Educators is a peer-reviewed professional journal that publishes practical, how-to articles for sport and physical education professionals at all levels. The journal provides information to help educators and coaches become more effective in their work. The publication's goals include the following:
- Publishing state-of-the-art information related to sport and physical activity
- Sharing "best practices" of field professionals in sport and physical education
- Identifying, discussing, and analyzing current issues and trends of importance to sport- related professions.
According to AAHPERD CEO Paul Roetert, "Routledge, Taylor & Francis was selected as the right partner for AAHPERD because of their vast experience in publishing over 1,600 scholarly journals, their efficiency in operations and their national as well as international reach. In addition, the broader reach will be of appeal not only to our AAHPERD members but to authors. AAHPERD members will also benefit from access to archived online editions of the journals as well as the opportunity to receive electronic access to three additional Taylor & Francis journals related to our field."
Concetta M. Seminara, Publisher, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Humanities, and Education, Taylor & Francis Group, LLC, adds, "Our editorial, production and marketing staffs are looking forward to expanding the visibility of the AAHPERD journals nationally and internationally. We will include the AAHPERD journals in our outreach at both domestic and international education and health conferences, include the journals in publication catalogs and web and social media promotions."
About Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group
Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group is one of the world's leading publishers of academic journals. We are dedicated to the dissemination of scholarly information, drawing on expertise developed since first publishing learned journals in 1798. Taylor & Francis now publishes over 1,600 scholarly journals in association with over 460 learned societies and scholarly institutions. We operate from a network of 20 global offices, including Philadelphia, Oxford, Melbourne, Stockholm, Beijing, New Delhi, Johannesburg and Singapore. www.tandfonline.com
Society of Health and Physical Educators
The Society of Health and Physical Educators, doing business as SHAPE America, is headquartered in Reston, VA, 25 miles west of Washington, D.C. Its vision is "Healthy People – Physically Educated and Physically Active!" SHAPE America is the largest organization of professionals involved in physical education, physical activity, dance, school health and sport--all specialties related to achieving an active, healthy lifestyle. Its mission is to advance professional practice and promote research related to health and physical education, physical activity, dance and sport by providing its members with a comprehensive and coordinated array of resources, support and programs to help practitioners improve their skills to further the health and well-being of the American public. For more information, visit www.aahperd.org.