The associations of AAHPERD are very active in developing and promoting standards.
The National Association for Sport and Physical Education publishes standards for K-12 physical education, for sport coaches, and for beginning physical education teachers.
- Moving into the Future: National Standards for Physical Education, 2nd Edition
Voluntary national standards for K-12 physical education reflect current thinking on what students should know and be able to do as a result of a quality physical education program.
- Quality Coaches, Quality Sports: National Standards for Sport Coaches
Fundamental competencies that athletic coaches from beginning coach to master coach should possess to ensure the safety and quality of athletic programs. Purchase>>
- National Standards for Beginning Physical Education Teachers, 2nd Edition
Knowledge, skills, and dispositions that the beginning teacher of physical education should possess upon entering the teaching ranks. Serve as the basis for teacher certification and program development for preparation of physical education teachers.
- National Standards & Guidelines for Physical Education Teacher Education, 3rd Edition
This publication provides the knowledge, skills, and dispositions that the beginning teacher of physical education should possess upon entering the teaching ranks. It serves as the basis for teacher certification and program development for preparation of physical education teachers. Purchase>>
The American Association for Health Education publishes standards critical to the healthy development of children and youth.
- National Health Education Standards, Second Edition: National Health Education Standards improve student learning across the nation by providing a foundation for curriculum development, instruction, and assessment of student performance. National Health Education Standards provide a guide for enhancing preparation and continuing education of teachers. Purchase>>
The National Dance Association standards were completed as part of a project developed by the Consortium of National Arts Education Associations and prepared under a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- The National Standards for Dance Education: The dance standards guide content and achievement at grades K-4, 5-8, and 9-12. The standards help ensure that the study of dance is disciplined and well focused and that dance instruction has a point of reference for assessing its results. Purchase>>